Days are gone when you had to be disturbed by smoke from the burning wood in the name of enjoying heat from the fireplace on a cold evening. Electric fireplaces have transformed what used to be hectic and messy to a very convenient and easy to use electric fireplace. Traditional fireplace involves a lot of work as they need to be maintained throughout by cleaning and lighting wood. As well, the chimney has to be maintained too. But with the electric fireplace, all you need is to plug the device into an outlet and use a remote to control temperature and heat in the convenience of your couch or bed. They heat a very wide area unlike the traditional fireplaces which require you to be close so as to benefit from them. Thus, this brings us to the question; what is the best electric fireplace?
Most of the people who divert from the traditional to the more modern electric fireplace find it hard to select the best. This is because there are so many types and designs that picking the best becomes hectic. But if you know what features you want and amount of space set aside for these units, choosing the best won’t be an issue at all. Of course don’t forget about the brands and models as they also vary in price. Choose a type that you are comfortable with and blend well with your home décor. In this review, we’ve highlighted all the important points you need in order to make a great choice in the end.
Summary of Contents [show]
Different types of electric fireplaces
There are various types of electric fireplaces to choose from. Pick type that matches well with your décor and fits well in your particular area of likeness.
Advantages of using electric fireplaces over the traditional ones
- To begin with, electric fireplaces are very convenient to use as they require less maintenance when compared to the traditional fireplaces.
- Also, they are very easy to install as you only need to mount them on a wall and connect to an outlet to start using them.
- They are extremely cheap to use when compared to the traditional types. These electric fireplaces are energy efficient and won’t increase your electricity bills. Traditional fireplaces require you to buy wood which is a bit costly and you have to maintain it too.
- These fireplaces are very safe unlike the traditional ones which pose a risk to children and pets. This is because they have no open fireplaces and the risk is very small.
- Electric fireplaces heat the room very well as long as you press the right settings. Traditional ones require a person to stay close to them in order to enjoy the heat.
- Unlike traditional fireplaces, electric fireplaces can be used all year round whether it’s warm or cold. This is because the visuals of a fireplace will stay intact no matter the season.
- With electric fireplaces, they come in different designs and you can select one that matches well with your interior décor. You can as well select a type that you feel is suitable for you.
- Last but not least, electric fireplaces can be moved say from the living room to the bedroom without much problem unlike the traditional type which is built permanently and doesn’t give you such options.
What to look at when buying an electric fireplace
Design – there are different designs to choose from and it will depend on the available space or modernity you want in your home or office. There are wall mounts, inserts TV stands and mantel designs to pick from. If you already have a fireplace, you can go for the insert and if you’ve limited space, a wall mount or TV stand can be ideal for you.
Weight – some fireplaces are light and can be move easily from the living room to bedroom while others are a bit heavy. If you want a fireplace that you can move from place to place, go for the freestanding electric stove. But if you want a more permanent type, then opt for a wall mount.
Convenience – how convenient is your fireplace? Most of the fireplaces come with remotes for changing the heat or temperature settings. Others are very portable and can be moved from one area to another without much problem. Thus, it’s a great idea to look at the features that a fireplace comes with so that you can use it with much ease and hassle. This is one of the aspects that make an electric fireplace to be better than a traditional one.
Heating capability – this is one of the most important features to look for in the best electric fireplaces. Most of the electric fireplaces have heat settings of low and high with others having even more. As well, consider checking out the capability of the electric fireplace to cover a certain area. Most of the fireplaces are created to cover an area of around 400 square foot. Check the Btu capacity as it will determine the quickness in which the unit will heat the designated area.
Size – depending on the space you have available for setting the fireplace will determine if you can have a large or small fireplace. Those with a traditional fireplace area can set up a fireplace inset of their choice as they come in different sizes and shapes. Also, if you have limited space, you can opt for a wall mount which is normally set up on walls and doesn’t need huge spaces.
Ease of installation – choose a fireplace that isn’t a headache when it comes to installation. Actually, some fireplaces like the mantel, TV stand and freestanding electric stove don’t need any installation. But also, fireplaces like wall mounts are very easy to install, all you need to do is to follow the manual carefully and you are good to go.
Safety features – consider purchasing an electric fireplace that has safety features such as the thermal overload feature. This helps to shut off the unit if it overheats preventing any risks that may emanate from such a scenario. Ensure your unit has this feature for a sound and safe environment.
Portability – if you plan moving the fireplace from one room to another, consider picking a portable fireplace such as a mantel or freestanding design. These don’t need any installation and can be moved to any destination in your home or office as you wish.
Brand – though not very important as other factors on this list, buying from a notable brand is very important. This is because you avoid all the risks of purchasing a product you know nothing about or with no customer reviews. Choose from the best brands to be sure you are buying a product that does not only give you heat but will last.
Price – look for a product that meets your heating needs instead of going with the price. As long as it has the features that you want and it’s within your set budget, you can buy that particular electric fireplace.
Warranty – consider checking out if the electric fireplace comes with a warranty or not. This sounds tricky but you should buy a fireplace with a warranty for security.
Just imagine buying a device only to find that its power cord doesn’t function or it heats too much than recommended.
Top 5 electric fireplaces
With a wide range of electric fireplaces to choose from, picking the best isn’t a walk in the park. You’ve to fully understand the electric fireplace before coming up with a list of the best. But with our broad guide and review, we’ve simplified things for you. In addition, we came up with a list of the best electric fireplace after a thorough research. These are highly recommended and are worth every coin you spend on them. They are as follows:
Touchstone 80001 Onyx Wall Mounted Electric fireplace (Our top pick)
Touchstone is one of the best brands in the market with excellent and quality electric fireplaces. The touchstone 80001 onyx is perfectly designed to be easily mounted on a wall without much problem. It is very simple to install and maintain as well. It comes with 5 brightness settings that allow the user change the brightness to their likeness. Another great feature is its two heat options for low or high heat with regards to the temperature of the room. If you want to chase away the cold in style, get this electric fireplace right away.
- Two heat options
- Realistic logset
- Tempered glass
- Black frame
- 5 flame brightness setting
- weighs 46 pounds
- It is very easy to install by just following the manual
- It is very safe and very efficient to use as it consumes very little energy.
- Has a great design and features that will blend well with your home décor
Lifesmart Quartz fireplace
If you’re looking for a very convenient and energy efficient fireplace, the Lifesmart Quartz fireplace is the best option for you. This device comes with excellent features that ensure you get enough heat in your home and covers an area of up to 1000 sq. ft. Acquire this excellent design today and start enjoying natural and quiet infrared heat.
- Quakerstown dark oak cabinet and mantel
- Heats 1000 sq. ft with 5100 Btu’s
- 3 heat settings with ECO mode
- On/off 12 hour timer
- Digital controls
- It is very energy efficient
- It is very clean as it uses no toxins or fuels
- It can be installed anywhere in your home
Dimplex DFI2309 fireplace
For people with a traditional fireplace that has run out of favor, this is the best electric fireplace that they can place their hands on. It is perfectly designed to fit in these areas and comes with a fan that distributes heat evenly in the entire living room. It just needs to be inserted into a traditional fireplace space and plugged into an outlet to start functioning.
- Built-in fan
- Patented flame technology
- 1375 watt
- It is very easy to set up
- Distributes heat evenly in the entire room
- Its energy efficient
- Great design similar to a real fireplace
Best choice products wall mount and free standing fireplace
Get a 2 in 1 fireplace if you purchase this elegant electric fireplace. This beautifully designed fireplace comes with dual heat settings that you can adjust with regards to the temperature of the room. It is very easy to install and has a 3D flam technology that makes it look outstanding. It is energy efficient and will match well with your house décor. Acquire this electric fireplace today and eliminate the hassle that comes with a traditional type.
- Dual heat settings
- 3D flame technology
- Tempered glass
- Wall mount and freestanding fireplaces
- Comes with two options of having a wall mount or freestanding design
- It is very easy to install by use of a manual
- It is energy efficient
- It is safe and easy to use with a remote control
Best choice products SKY1826 Embedded fireplace
This is one of the best electric insert fireplaces. It comes with excellent features that make using it to be seamless and fun. It has a safety cut-off feature to reduce or stop overheating of the device. In addition, it comes with a simple design that doesn’t need to assemble but just direct installation in a traditional fireplace. Other great features it has are; two heat settings, 5 adjustable brightness levels and glass view window. If you want a natural feel and one of the most efficient electric fireplaces, get this device to enjoy the view at lower costs.
- Safety cut-off device
- Two heat settings
- Tempered glass
- CSA certified
- 5 Adjustable brightness levels
- Vent free
- It is easy to install by use of a manual provided by the manufacturer
- Has 5adjustbale brightness to change the luminous as you wish to
- It is highly energy efficient
- Comes with two heat settings for different room temperatures
With an electric fireplace, you no longer have to experience the smoke or cumbersome work that comes with having a traditional fireplace. It’s very convenient and easy to use. Choose a type and design that matches exceptionally with your interior décor. Ensure you get a top brand as a low quality one will be less effective when it comes to heating your home. If you want you can select a portable one to move it as you wish. Now that we’ve offered you all the information you require you know about the best electric fireplace, choosing the best shouldn’t be an issue at all.