Many homeowners love it when their lawn is looking good and taken care of well. Imagine having tall grass all over your compound. This is really disgusting as the kids won’t have a nice playground compared to when it is well trimmed and cut. Lawn mowers do a great job of keeping grass short and trimmed throughout the year. Whether it’s a small area or a large one, you can easily find a lawn mower to carry out the mowing for you. The only challenge comes in when picking the best lawn mower on the market.
At times people do ask me, what is the best lawn mower to acquire? This question sounds straight but it isn’t. This is because one has to categorize the mowers for them to get the best. Lawn mowers differ in their source of power as others are corded while others are powered by batteries. Also, they come in different sizes and one should pick the ideal one. With hundreds of brands and models on the market, knowing which features to look for is crucial. For instance; consider the area you want to cut grass, price, performance, level of speed, level of noise, impact on environment and weight of the mower. Always choose a mower that has favorable factors to your role.
In this review, we have highlighted all the information you need to make the best decision. Read keenly.
Summary of Contents [show]
Types of lawn mowers
These are one of the oldest models of lawn mowers. They are made simple to use and easy to maintain. The manual reel mowers just need your energy to push them for them to cut grass. When you push the device, you turn a series of blades for them to cut grass. If you are environmentally conscious, these are the perfect lawn mowers for you.
Usually, these are available either in gas or electric models. In most cases, the gas models have a four-stroke engine with a 140 to 190 cubic centimeter displacement. When the engine is larger or has high torque, this doesn’t necessarily mean that the lawn mower is powerful. The electric model uses motor to turn the rotating blade on.
Typically, a good number of self-propelled models are powered by gas. Though there are electric models too. Electric models use a cord or battery which is used up quickly during propulsion. Gas models normally have a 4-stroke engine with a 160 to 190 cubic centimeter displacement.
Features to look at when picking the best lawn mowers
- Source of power – there are various lawn mower models on the market and they are powered differently. The three most common power sources to find on the lawn mowers include; petrol, gas and electric. So, when choosing a mower, consider which type of power source you prefer so that you can end up with a mower that is convenient to use. If you want to cut grass on a huge area, an electric model won’t be ideal in such a situation. A gas powered design may also produce harmful emissions into the environment.
- Variable speed control – choose a mower with a variable speed control feature. This feature helps the user to control the device with regard to how fast or slow they want the lawn mower to cut the grass.
- Engine – not all engines found on lawn mowers are of the same size and power. But these engines make a big difference the way the mower cuts the grass. But this doesn’t mean that you should possess the biggest engine to cut grass well. An engine with 150cc has a lot of power to cut on most of the lawn in homes. Unless you want a more powerful lawn mower.
- Washout port – this feature is very important when it comes to cleaning of the device. The washout port is normally connected to a hose in order to clear clippings under the mower deck without the requirement to tip the machine. Thus, it makes washing or cleaning of the lawn mower to be easy and fast.
- Level of noise – when buying a lawn mower, consider how noisy it is. Some models are very loud and won’t give you or your neighbor peace of mind as you work. So, pick a device that is not very loud or operates silently.
- Cutting heights – also, another crucial feature to look at is the cutting height of the mower. A good number of lawn mowers come with adjustable cutting heights. This enables the user to change the height he or she prefers their lawn to have. Also, the height of grass might determine which height to set for efficient cutting.
- Handles – choose a mower with nice handles and grip as you will have to use it for some hours. It should be easy to push around and a padded handle is better. Also, the handles should be of an ideal height so that it doesn’t tire the user.
- Type of drive – different types of lawn mowers comes with different forms of propulsion. The three propulsions or drive that most mowers have are; front, rear and all wheel drive. Rear wheel drive is the most common and is really effective. The weight of the bag gives this drive traction to the wheels. The front wheel drive is the most suitable when your mower has weight in the front, in order to keep the wheels on the ground. While the all-wheel drive is wonderful when mowing around obstacles, though this makes the mower hard to move around.
- Type of blade – ensure you know the number of blades your mower has and its quality. Most mower blades are made of steel which is a very strong metal. Some devices come with double blades while others have single. When mowing on a large area or depending on the type of grass being mowed, you may need a stronger blade.
- Grass collector – acquiring a device with a grass collector is a very nice idea. Different lawn mowers come with different sized grass collectors. These collect grass when cutting preventing cleanup of the lawn after cutting grass.
Factors to consider when buying a lawn mower
- Maneuverability – pick a mower that is easy to maneuver around. Not all devices are easy to operate as some need more power than others.
- Design – lawn mowers come in different designs, shapes, models and weight. Pick a device that works effortlessly with you. A lightweight lawn mower will make your work of cutting grass to be easy and fast.
- Size of mowing area –also, you should consider the area you want to mow before picking a mower. If the area is very large, then you will need a very powerful lawn mower. If the area is small, then a self-powered lawn mower is ideal for use.
- Maintenance – another factor to look at is the maintenance of the lawn mower. When looking for a mower, know if it’s easy to maintain or not. Some lawn mowers come with a washout port for easy cleaning. Consider picking this type.
- Brand – there are various brands that offer lawn mowers on the market. Go through some of the best reviews online to find out which brands are the best. Brands like Honda, Snapper, Husqvarna, Toro, Black & Decker, and many others are worth considering.
- Easy mode changes – a good number of lawn mowers allow easy mode changes. This is going from mulching to mowing and back. This is done without tools
- Price – the price of a mower is determined by a number of factors. It can be because of quality, power, size or type too. Choose a lawn mower that has all the features that you think are necessary in quick and easy cutting of grass. There are highly priced lawn mower and as well lowly priced ones. Don’t go for low quality and if possible spend to get the best.
- Warranty – if the product doesn’t has a warranty, think twice about it. If the manufacturer is very confident in their product, a warranty should be provided.
Look for at least a warranty of more than 2 years. Most of the best brands offer a warranty on their products.
The best 5 lawn mowers reviews
Are you looking for the best lawn mower on the market? Worry not, as we have compiled a list of the top five lawn mowers currently on the market. This is after a rigorous research comparing various mowers from different brands. Some of the features we applied to choose the best lawn mowers are engine power, ease of use, weight, functionality and performance. The list below contains lawn mowers that can be applied on a small and large piece of land.
1. GreenWorks 25302 G-MAX Lawn Mower (Our Top Pick)
The excellently designed and powerful lawn mower from Green Works cuts grass on any lawn very well and fast. This device is powered by lithium ion battery system from G-MAX which propels all the parts of the mower. In addition, it has dual blades which increase efficiency when cutting grass. The 20 inch deck provides a good balance for maneuverability and cutting capacity. Since the device is cordless, this means that you can use it to cut grass on a wider area. Also, the grass collector which is of an ideal size ensures that all the cut grass is stored there for a clean lawn.
- Dual blades
- 20-inch cutting deck
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery system
- Innovative smart technology
- Grass collector
- The GreenWorks 25302 has an excellent 70 minutes run time
- GreenWorks Lawn Mower is lightweight than most of the gas powered devices
- It functions uses dual blades which increases efficiency in cutting
- It doesn’t need any maintenance as it is excellently designed for efficiency
2. EGOPower+ 20 inch Lawn Mower
The EGO power+ lawn mower is one of the best when it comes to functionality. Whether the grass is tough or not, this mower will effectively clear it. The mower has 600W high torque motor for cutting grass. The 20 inch cut capacity means that it will be easier to maneuver the lawn mower during use. Also, this mower allows the user apply it any time of the day as they have LED headlights.
- Advanced arc lithium ion 4.0 Ah battery and rapid charger
- 20 inches cut capacity
- Folds fast and seamlessly
- Cordless lawn mower
- LED headlights
- 5 year warranty
- It comes with a 600W high torque motor for mowing a wide area
- It has a 20 inch cut capacity for easy maneuverability
- The device folds quick and very easy for compactness and storage
- The manufacturer offers a 5 year warranty
3. Husqvarna 7021P 21-inch Lawn Mower
When you speak about the best brands, Husqvarna is among them. This model from Husqvarna is one of the best and it’s sleek. It comes with adjustable handle for easy use and storing of the device. The engine with 160 cc is ideal for small yards such as in homesteads. Being CARB compliant, this lawn mower can be applied at home without worrying about emissions of harmful substances. The manufacturer offers a 2 year warranty on the product.
- 12-inch rear wheels
- Adjustable handle
- 3-in-1 cutting system
- CARB compliant
- Powered by gas
- It has a sleek design and it’s very easy to use
- The adjustable handle is for ease of using and storage of the lawn mower
- It has a 160 cc engine which is suitable for small yards
4. Black & Decker CM2040 Lawn Mower
The 15 gallon lawn mower makes things easy for the user as the cut grass is kept in this grass collector leaving the cut area clean. The mower uses lithium ion battery which lasts longer and can power the lawn mower for a while before running out. A unique feature of this mower is its 6 setting height that can be adjusted as the user wishes to.
- 20 inch wide cutting grass
- 40V MAX lithium ion batteries
- Cordless mower
- 15 gallon nylon grass collection bag
- 6 setting height adjustment
- The lawn mower has 6 setting height that can be adjusted to cut the level of grass that you need
- It uses lithium ion battery that runs for longer hours
- Being cordless, the lawn mower can be applied to cut grass on a wider area
- The 20 inch cut capacity gives enough room to maneuver while cutting grass
5. WORX Lil’Mo Lawn Mower
The simple but effective lawn mower from WORX Lil’Mo is a nice mower for use on a small lawn. This mower has removable 24V batteries that can sustain the user for a while before requiring replacing it. Also, the mower is very easy to start by use of a push button. The lawn mower has a capability to cut up to 6000 sq ft . It can be used to cut for bagging, mulching or even rear-discharge. On purchase, the user gets a 3 year warranty.
- Removable 24V batteries
- Grass collection bag
- Easy start feature
- 3 year warranty from manufacturer
- Cuts up to 6, 000 sq ft
- It is very easy to start
- Worx Lawn Mower is lightweight and easy to operate
- It has foam padded handles for added comfort when using the device
- It has 3 in 1 choices of mulching, bagging or rear discharge.
From the above information, it’s clear that there are different types of lawn mowers for created specifically for particular tasks. So, there is nothing as the best unless you specify in which category the mower is in. it can be gas powered, petrol powered or electric powered. Also, the lawn mower might be self-propelled or push mowers. Depending on the area or type of grass you want to cut, you can pick a very powerful or moderate powered lawn mower. All you have to do is to identify your needs and you will end up having a clean and tidy lawn hat your neighbors will envy greatly. Use our information above to make a good choice that you won’t regret.